Los bericht bekijken
Oud 20 december 2008, 14:57
ajs's schermafbeelding
DTV: Cisco 8845DVB
Standaard Broadcast formats (video/audio)

I picked up one of these set-top boxes earlier in the week and have been tinkering with things in the meantime. A lot of my observations seem to be well known, but I haven't seen any information about what form of video/audio is actually being broadcast by Ziggo. (I was formerly with Casema.)

In particular, there's no way (despite what the manual says) to pass through the video as-is ("original") on HDMI. I find this quite annoying because my TV seems to have far better scaling/processing than the Cisco unit itself. For normal SD stations, I'm guessing 576p is the way to go. But then HD stations are downscaled, which defeats the purpose of receiving anything HD. Does anyone know what format the HD stations are broadcasting? 760p? 1080i? A mixture? There doesn't seem to be any way that I can see to get the Cisco unit to display this.

Secondly, I've noticed that the EPG displays a Dolby-Digital logo next to some programs. However when I choose these, my amp still claims 2-channel PCM is being sent. (Granted my TV is receiving this via HDMI and passing out as SPDIF, but the TV is configured to pass audio through without down-mixing.) Is this consistent with what other people see? Is there a trick to getting multi-channel DD? I notice in the AV Settings that "Stereo" is the only option; it cannot be changed.

Finally, an observation on lip-sync. I've noticed that it's terrible at times and varies between stations. Changing the lip-sync option in AV settings helps a bit, at the expense of hiccups every 10 seconds or so when this setting is non-zero. I'm aware that the manual advises leaving it as 0, but does anyone have any tips for in this area?

- Andrew